A petition for guardianship is filed by third parties to take legal care of minor children when both parents are unable or unwilling to do so. for instance in a situation when a mother is addicted to drugs and father is incarcerated a grandparent or other relative may seek guardianship of the children. there are two parts to guardianship of the estate and of the person. you can ask to control the finances of the minor child, the daily needs of the minor child or both. Generally when children do not have any financial needs it is easier to seek only guardianship of the person and not of the estate. This also prevents the guardian from having to pay for and obtain a bond. You always filer for general guardianship but in cases which you need emergency guardianship orders you can file for both general and temporary guardianship pending the resolution of general guardianship.